Our COVID-19 Response and Capabilities. learn more
Everyone knows that mold is gross and they don’t want it around. However, the consensus about mold stops there. In reality, there is a lot of misinformation and absolute claims based on shaky evidence about mold that muddy the waters on what’s true and what’s not. To help you sort through the mountains of misinformation to know what you should actually believe, here are four common misconceptions about mold according to our mold removal experts at Maxon’s in White Plains NY.
Mold is a part of our daily lives. Spores invisible to the human eye are constantly floating around in the air. However, they require a certain amount of moisture to take hold and grow. Thus, trying to completely remove mold isn’t an option, but this isn’t a bad thing! What you need to focus on preventing is mold from growing and spreading throughout your home. That is the mold that will cause you problems later on down the road.
While this is undoubtedly the most likely time for mold growth to occur in your home, it certainly isn’t the only time. In the absence of a leak or flood, humidity is the next most common cause of mold growth. If there are high humidity levels in your home the high moisture levels over time can cause mold growth.
Mold growth usually tends to be a far more pervasive problem than many people expect. This often results in DIY mold removal attempts that seem to work at first but the mold ends up growing back after a couple of months. To ensure that mold is adequately removed from your home, you should have it remediated by a professional mold removal company. They have the resources and experience necessary to safely and thoroughly perform mold removal in your home so it won’t cause you problems in the future.
This is a tricky misconception because while mold may not technically be toxic, that doesn’t mean that it can’t be dangerous. Toxicity refers to how the body reacts to exposure to a harmful chemical agent, and in general, healthy adults who come into brief contact with mold will not react as they would to a poisonous substance. As a result, mold is only considered toxigenic if the colony is extensive or has been feeding on materials that are toxic when broken down by the spores. At this point, the mold has altered the air quality, making it unsafe for people to breathe, especially if they are at high risk for respiratory issues.
There is a lot more that can be said on this subject! However, the misconceptions listed above comprise some of the most common. Lastly, if you ever have a mold problem in your home, don’t hesitate to give the mold removal experts a call at Maxon’s in White Plains NY.